Saturday 31 March 2007

Mr Robert McCheyne


Despite being Scottish and proud of it, I have been struck since the start of the year as to how little I know of my countries History and Christian heritage. In January I read a entitled " Scotland's Christian Hertiage". It was an excellent account of the great men who God has used to form and shape Scotland for the Lord.
Since then, I have been dipping into and reading some more of these great men. I have read a couple of papers written by Thomas Chambers but just last week I was delighted to pay the princely sum of 50p for a Biography of McCheyne by his excellent good friend Andrew Bonar. I am to date just over half way. But reading of this young man has done much to engage and prepare my mind for Christian service.
The sad death of his brother seemed to galvanise him for the Lord and redeem the time God has afforded him.
Here are a few of my favourite quotes for you to chew over.

"How apt we are to loose our hours in the vainest babblings of the world!"

Bonar comments "During his first years in Dundee, he often rode out to the ruined church of Invergowrie, to enjoy a perfect hours solitude; for he felt meditation and prayer to be the very sinews of his work....he had a systematic pursit of personal holiness."
In 1838 McCheyne travels to Israel to recover his health and see the Holyland. Whilst there he notes in his journal " It is a remarkable feeling to be alone in the desert; it brings God near."
He was a great humble man, who has lived so it would seem, two lives, one shut in with the Lord, praying and reading and one lived in public serving his Master. Truely here was a man, who was so attentive to God, he was used so effectively by Him.

No comments: